Music Performance B.M.

Herb Alpert School of Music

About the Major

The Music Performance major is a designated capstone major. Through preparation for and execution of their senior capstone projects or recitals, students demonstrate mastery of program learning outcomes as well as a level of proficiency appropriate for their role in the recitals and their understanding of performance practices appropriate to the repertory being performed, as acquired in previous coursework and through research. Students also display their ability to assemble an effective program in terms of pacing and variety and demonstrate requisite stage presence along with an ability to communicate with their audience in performance.

The Music Performance major has the following learning outcomes:

Demonstrated artistic proficiency on a primary instrument or in voice
Demonstrated excellent aural musicianship skills and a working knowledge of music theory and music history
Demonstrated artistic proficiency and flexibility as performer and collaborator in varied settings, including chamber ensembles and large conducted ensembles
Demonstrated knowledge of history and performance repertoire for a primary instrument or voice and representative works for chamber and large conducted ensembles from the majors periods of Western classical music, including contemporary compositions
Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of compositional form, historical context, performance practices, extended techniques, nontraditional notation, and current issues to performance of Western classical music
Demonstrated knowledge about genres other than Western classic music or the scholarly study of music and/or the business practices associated with the music industry
Conception, preparation, and performance of a public solo recital of Western classical music, including a printed program and program notes


Contact Information

Choosing Your Course of Study at UCLA

Making the Right Decision

One of the most important decisions you will make in college is your choice of major — the field of study that represents your principal interest and that will likely contribute to your career goals. Some students select their major at the time they fill out the University’s application for admission, although a far greater number are undecided about their major.

Students in the College of Letters and Science do not need to declare their major in their freshman year. In fact, you can be an “undeclared major” until the end of your sophomore year, which is particularly advantageous if you are not certain of your specific academic goals. It is wise to wait and explore the diversity of subject areas offered at UCLA through taking introductory courses in a variety of disciplines. It would not be unusual for you to become enthusiastic about disciplines previously unfamiliar to you. With careful planning, these courses may also apply toward fulfilling your university and college requirements.

To narrow your choice of study, carefully consider the general college requirements, the description of courses offered in the major, and the departmental requirements for completing the program of study. Look at the books required for each course. Sit in on a few classes and talk with professors during their office hours. Discuss interests and plans with a departmental counselor or faculty adviser, a college counselor, or advisers in the UCLA Career Center.

Certain majors, especially in the arts, engineering, the sciences, and theater, film, or television require early declaration. Some have enrollment quotas and allow application by new majors only during a specified term. Students should check with the departmental adviser for the majors that interest them.

In addition, UCLA undergraduate students are limited to between 208 and 216 quarter units, depending on the college or school, to complete the academic program and fulfill all degree requirements. So, if you wait to declare a major, you should not wait too long. In any case, you must declare your major by the beginning of your junior year (90 quarter units).

When you are ready to declare your major, you should obtain a Petition for Change of Major from your college or school office.