Students from the following schools or colleges are required to complete the Foreign Language Requirement by the time they graduate from UCLA:

  • UCLA College
  • School of the Arts & Architecture
  • School of Music
  • School of Theater, Film, and Television

Students who are required to complete the Foreign Language Requirement may do so before entering UCLA in one of three ways:

  • A score of 3 or higher on any of the following Advanced Placement (AP) foreign language tests:
    • Chinese Language & Culture
    • French Language
    • German Language & Culture
    • Italian Language & Culture
    • Japanese Language & Culture
    • Latin (score of 4 or higher is required)
    • Spanish Language
  • A UCLA Foreign Language Placement exam score indicating foreign language competency through quarter level 3 or higher (quarter level 2 or higher for students in the School of Arts & Architecture).
  • Credit for a foreign language course at UCLA for quarter level 3 or above (quarter level 2 or higher for students in the School of Arts & Architecture) or an equivalent course at another institution.


The only exceptions are international students who are on visa status from a non-English speaking country.  Students can be exempted from this requirement in one of the following ways:

  1. Students with a F1, A1, A2 or J1 visa who are held by Admissions for ESL are exempt from the Foreign Language requirement.
  2. Any UCLA student (regardless of visa status) who has attended a high school for a minimum of 2 years in which the primary language of instruction was a language other than English may petition to be exempted from the Foreign Language requirement at their UCLA college or school advising office (i.e. College Academic Counseling, AAP Counseling, Honors Counseling, Athletics Counseling, School of Arts & Architecture, School of Theater, Film & Television, and School of Music).  This request is made at the college or school advising office by turning in high school transcripts that indicate a minimum of 2 years attendance at a high school in which the primary language of instruction was in a language other than English.
    • New students who are attending a New Student Orientation session can direct these inquiries to New Student & Transition Programs, and advisors there will verify your work.
    • After orientation, students who wish to petition for this exemption can direct their petitions to your UCLA college or school advising office, and that advising office will verify the work.